2016 Telematics Patterns, Trends, and Challenges
In the rapidly growing market of telematics and GPS, understanding the ways in which
fleet managers use such systems is crucial for both fleet leaders who utilize them and the companies that create these programs.
An online survey of fleet leaders regarding their use of telematics is helpful to fleet
professionals as well as telematics and GPS providers, as the survey results offer valuable
insights into industry trends in 2016.
This 2016 survey had some interesting findings:
- Driver behavior is the top reason why fleets are using Telematics The top reason for using telematics is related to driver behavior such as idling, speeding, miles driven, and unauthorized usage.
- Idle time is the top metric that fleets are monitoring The top metric that fleets are monitoring with the use of telematics or GPS is idle time.
- A majority of fleet leaders saw improvement in driver behavior, which was also considered the most important benefit from using telematics. 69% of respondents indicated that they saw improvement in driver behavior after utilizing telematics or GPS in their fleet. Improved driver safety and accurate utilization tracking were also among the most commonly experienced benefits.
- One of the biggest challenges fleet leaders faced when implementing telematics or GPS is the underutilization of telematics and its data 48% of respondents stated that their biggest challenge when using telematics or GPS is its full utilization. Majority of respondents only occasionally use telematics data for decision making within their organization.
- Mixed Return on Investment but good satisfaction rating Of the respondents who utilized fleet telematics or GPS, only 35% of them received an ROI. Despite that, the majority of them indicated that they were either satisfied or extremely satisfied with their overall telematics experience.
- The most compelling factors influencing the selection of a telematics or GPS provider were related to costs Respondents ranked device cost, followed by monthly data cost as the top two factors influencing their choice of provider.