Bulk Oil and Fluids

 

Bulk Oil and Fluids

We have a very diverse fleet of equipment with many different years, makes, and models of equipment. Does anyone have a problem keeping up with all the manufacturer’s recommended oils and fluids? For instance, the recommended motor oils on all of our units vary from SAE 15W-40, 5W-20 semi synthetic blend, SAE 5W-20, 5W-40 full Synthetic Blend, etc. The same can be said for transmission fluid, and transfer case/differential fluid, and coolants. In most cases if you do not use the recommended fluid with the same specifications this can void the warranty. Has anyone consolidated their fluids into a few bulk weights and hung up the idea of keeping so many different types of fluids or are you still following manufacturer’s recommendations.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

I am answering on behalf of a fleet manager, lviscusi , who wrote:

"We consolidated to one oil for most of our engines. we had some start up issues with some oil leaks on the older equipment ( went to a thinner oil) but that has pretty much gone away. we did get approval prior to doing this from the OE manufacturers so we didnt void any warranties."

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

I recommend getting in touch with a reliable oil provider, and doing some research on the issue. More often you can consolidate without voiding the warranty. In special cases we keep the OEM recomended product on hand during the warranty period, then switch to the compatibale spec product later when the warranty has expired......saves us money, and no drop in operational times.......

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

We currently use 15w-40 for deisel engines and 10w-30 for all gasoline engines. I suggest use a good quality oil, create intervals that meet your fleets business requirments, for your deisel oils look at oil sample analysis, and purchase from manufacture and dealers that will work with you to accomplish what is best for your fleet.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

I am responding on behalf of Jrenda, fleet manager, who wrote:

"Keeping up with all the different OEM recommended fluids can be a real headache. Consolidating and buying in bulk is definitely the way to go. the key is to find a good quality oil that fits the majority of your needs. Your oil supplier can help you determine what that is by reviewing your OEM requirements. I buy motor oil, hydraulic fluid and gear lube in bulk that fits 90% of my needs. The other 10% I buy as needed in 5 gallon pails."

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

We buy bulk oil and ATF for the most part. We use 5w30 in the gas vehicles and 15w40 in diesel. We use a universal ATF except where it will not meet the requirements of a specific vehicle and then we buy as needed and same with coolants and other lubes. We have virtually no oil related failures.