Error message

User error: Failed to connect to memcache server: in dmemcache_object() (line 415 of /var/www/fleetanswers/trunk/sites/all/modules/memcache/

Mobile equipment spill reporting


Mobile equipment spill reporting

I am writing on behalf of a FleetAnswers member, rwinter, who asked:

"I am looking for information concerning mobile equipment spill reporting. We have DHEC and corporate rules for stationary sources but we are looking for how others handle the complex issues of mobile equipment spills.

Are there exceptions to reporting, such as quantity and soil type? What is your policy for mobile equipment? Can you please share your policy?

Thank you in advance for your responses."

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Simply put we clean up and properly dispose of contaminated soil with any spill regardless of size and if the spill is greater than 5 gallons we get our environmental team involved and they create the reports for the appropriate agencies.



All spills that are required to be reported under a state or federal rule must be reported to the designated agency as soon as possible following discovery. Contractors working for XXXXXXX are responsible for reporting spills caused by their activities. Spills must be reported to the Environmental Services Department (ESD) as soon as the individual at the spill location:

- protects the safety of himself and the public
- takes immediate control measures to prevent further migration

The following is a brief summary of relevant spill reporting regulations:

1. State Spill Rule - In Wisconsin, spills of federally-regulated hazardous substances and certain petroleum spills must be reported. Common petroleum products such as diesel fuel, lubricating oil, and hydraulic oil are not classified as hazardous substances. However, the state requires that spills of petroleum products of 5 gallons or more that are not completely contained on an impervious surface be immediately reported. Contact ESD when spills are reportable to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR) and ESD will contact the local environmental warden. If unable to contact ESD, the after hours, state toll-free number for spill reporting is (800) 943-0003.

2. Federal Clean Water Act - According to 40 CFR Part 110, a discharge of oil to a navigable water or adjoining shoreline is reportable if the quantity discharged causes a film or sheen upon or discoloration of the surface of the water. Such spills are also required to be reported immediately to the National Response Center. Contact ESD when spills are reportable to the National Response Center. If unable to contact ESD, the National Response Center number for spill reporting is (800) 424-8802. Any such spill that is reported must also be reported to the WDNR.

Spill Cleanup

The policy of XXXXXXXX is to clean up all spills that result from our activities to the extent practicable. This applies to both reportable and non-reportable spills. Contractors working for XXXXXXX are responsible for properly cleaning up all spills caused by their activities. If the spill presents an emergency situation and safety hazard, a spill contractor must be used to comply with OSHA regulations. Disposal of small amounts of petroleum spill cleanup material containing no free-flowing product can usually be placed in a dumpster. Arrangements for the disposal of larger amounts must be made with the local solid waste agency.