Using VMRS 2000 Codes

Using VMRS 2000 Codes

I'm currently considering converting over to VMRS 2000 coding system. We are currently in the process of upgrading our Fleet asset management system from AssetWork's M4 to M5. We are a government entity that manages all types of vehicles such as light trucks, sedans, police vehicles, garbage trucks, fire trucks, large utilities vehicles, and some off road equipment. The VMRS 2000 seems that it is geared toward large long haul trucks but the coding system could be used for any type of fleet.  I was wondering who (any government agencies) is currently using this (VMRS 2000) coding system and have you been successful in getting any bench marking data from other users. Or if anyone has a standardized coding system for a fleet operations that others are able to bench mark data from?
Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Hi,

We are very involved in upgrading our job codes to support use of time standards. Before we can do time standards, our job/task codes need to be sufficiently specfic to allow realistic comparison of actual to programmed task times. We have 23 systems codes and are going through them one by one. The project has been going for several years, but I have tried to energize it since my arrival. We are almost halfway through and it is a tremendous amount of work.

We strongly considered VMRS at the beginning of the project, however, the orientation is to HD trucks as you observed, and, wading through those many, many codes seemed impractical. What we have is said to be loosely based on VRMS when M-4 was implemented here 8 years ago. So we are keeping with that overall organization, but doing our own thing for codes. I'll send you a copy of what we did for Refuse truck bodies and you can see where we're at. FYI, we're seeking upgrade to M-5 ourselves...

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

I have a govenrment fleet much like Mat's that is very diverse. I have not explored the posability of updateing to VMRS. I am using the ATA codes and have about 870 some combinations of jobs etc. I cannot seem to get all of my shop supervisors to march to the same drummer using the ATA codes, so my aspirations of setting up benchmarks and time standards are not currently on the horizon....I have a very diverse fleet as Mat mentioned, and taking time to benchmark did not prove to be that profitable in the past. I am interested in other peoples benchmarks, since we all have police cars, pickup trucks and dump trucks....Other than that, we have a lot of large complex units that require most of our man hours, and digging into these numbers takes a lot of resources without a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I can see long haul truckers, or fleets with the same type of equipment have those numbers, that would make a lot of sense. But do I really want to spends days to find out how long it takes to change brakes on a minivan, when the light stuff is either under warrenty, or ready for disposal.

We have spoken in the past about upgrading to M5 but it does not look forseeable in the near future....Hope that helps.