Ford F750 with aerial device mounted to it

Ford F750 with aerial device mounted to it

I'm posting this question on behalf of FleetAnswers member, DHogan, who asked,

"Does anyone have any experience with the Ford750 with an aerial device mounted to it? I would like to know how the Ford 750 compares operationally with the International and Freightliner chassis of the same capacities." 

Any help, insights, or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks again!

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

The Ford chassis do not really compare cab wise to the other manufacturers. Chassis has no problem with the load of the aeriel device as we have a couple. But what we have found with the low slung cab design of the fords they do not provide adequate driver space. This would be my concern with this unit when comparing to other manufacturers.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

We have several 40' aerials mounted on F750s. Rkoss is correct the chassis has no problem with the load of the body and the aerial but the cab is small and drivers complain that it rides rough. Part of our problem with the rough ride is that we have 33K chassis for a 40' unit. Since I have been engineering the units I have moved more recent installations to a 10K front and a 17K rear. Doing this gets your a much better ride since we are loaded to something like 80% of rated capacity. I should also note my installations have been on a Freightliner M2 and not the F750.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

The ride is compromised i think in Part by the low roof line of the cab causing headroom concerns especially when equipped with the air ride seat configuration.The other manufacturers also have a better set back on axles for weight distribution and taller cab configuration to allow for the air ride seats to remove some of buck from the chassis as the ride gets worse anytime you shorten the wheelbase and have a heavier specced chassis.